Reduce Pores On the Nose
What are pores?
Pores are the openings on your face that allow sebaceous glands to secrete oils skin oils. Hair can also grow through them. Some people have larger pore on their nose as the sebaceous glands may be larger. Today let’s talk about how we can reduce pores on the nose.
We can not reduce the number of pores but we can reduce their appearance. Pores are necessary to allow sweat and oil to be secreted. Sweat helps with temperature control and oil helps prevent skin dryness.
What causes an enlarged pore on the nose?
Pores appear larger when they fill will sebum and debris. If you are not washing your makeup off your face or using thickened creams such as petroleum jelly and mineral oil, you are more likely to have enlarged nose pores. If your pores are clogged or if there is a buildup of oil and dead skin, the pore will appear larger.
How can we reduce pores on the nose?
We can’t change,
- Genetics. If you have members of the family with large, visible pores, you’re more likely to have them yourself.
- Skin type. If you have darker skin or oily skin you are more likely to have large pores on your nose.
- Aging. As we age, our collagen and elastin start to break down. Collagen and elastin are needed for healthy skin.
- Excess oil production. Those who have oily skin types tend to have larger pores..
We can change,
- Environmental exposure. Too much sun exposure will break down elastin and collagen at a higher rate. Elastin and collagen are needed to support the skin and the pore. As we lose them pores may appear to be larger as the support structure is lost.The nose will typically get more sun exposure compared to the rest of your face because it sticks out further on your face.
- Your lifestyle. As I mentioned, if you are not washing your makeup off or using heavy lotions that are considered comedogenic you are more likely to develop the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Alcohol consumption. Too much alcohol consumption along will poor diet will also impair healthy skin leading to an increase in pore size.
- Tobacco. Smoking impaired collagen and elastin leading to an increase in the appearance of the pore size.
Reduce pores on the nose in 3 steps
We need to focus in on several goals to reduce the appearance pores on the nose.
- Reduce excess oil in the pore
- Exfoliate dead skin to help prevent blockage of a pore
- Promote healthy skin
#1 Reduce excess oil on the pore
- Look at labels. You want to focus in on non comedogenic. That is skin care and make up that are less likely to block a pore.
In choosing an oil post I mentioned the comedogenic scale. If you have enlarged pores consider avoiding these oils on your face,
- Cocoa Butter
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Flax Seed Oil
- Linseed Oil
- Palm Oil
- Wheat Germ Oil
There are other ingredients to avoid if you want to reduce pores on the nose, I will do a blog post on this.
One of the most common ingredients that you will see in many different types of products is salicylic acid. Salicylic acid can help penetrating the pore which keeps it clean. It can also breakdown dead skin cells and remove oil.
Cleansers to reduce pore size on the nose
#2 Exfoliate the skin to help reduce pores on the nose
Exfoliation is needed to help remove dead skin cells that can block pores, exfoliating can help reduce pore size. There are many ways to exfoliate.
# 3 Promote Healthy Skin to help reduce pores on the nose
Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. As I mentioned earlier ultraviolet radiation exposure can decrease collagen and elastin levels making pores more obvious, use sunscreen to help prevent further sun damage. Consider wearing a hat as they protect from sun exposure as well.
Non ablative lasers such as Fraxel which require little or no downtime can help smooth the skin’s surface and increases collagen production. IPL can also increase collagen production.